Sunday, June 20, 2010

Washing Primed Ribs


I took it easy today. It is just too hot to work all day in the shop without the A/C here. So I decided to get up early and go to the airstrip to go for some flying with my RANS S-12S. It was a wonderful morning and despite the 35mph headwind it was very enjoyable. For the ones familiar with the Tucson area... I went up for a look at Kitt Peak observatory (about 5 miles SW of ROB NDB) and then to Sells airport (E78) to see if the runway is still intact. What a nice escape from the heat it was to fly for 15 minutes at 9500 ft. MSL. It almost got a bit chilly :-).
When I came back I splashed with water by washing the primed parts with a Scotch pad again. I also read ahead in the plans to understand what is coming next and I found some odd rib orientations that don't seem to be right. So I went ahead and just clecoed the ribs in place to see if the orientation makes sense. I also want to take a a look at some blogs to verify that I'm doing this right. In this photo I actually had left out the forward ribs that looked odd. The thing that set me up was that the two inner ribs were shown to be facing the flange towards the (open) inside, the part that won't be covered by the skin. I thought it was odd to show the ugly side with the protruding shop side of the LP4-3 rivets instead of making it look nice. It seems one could turn the flange towards the covered part of the Stabilator without any problems as the rivet holes are centered on the flange. I saw that Marty's blog shows a photo were he did it according to the plans whereas Dave from Schmetterling Aviation did it the way I'd do it.
Guess I have to flip a coin ....

No comments:

Post a Comment