Saturday, June 26, 2010

Skins Primed



The wind calmed down in the later afternoon enough to risk the priming. After two hours the work was done, including the cleanup. The reason why it took so long this time was that I had some trouble with my paint gun or rather the paint in it. The primer dries so quickly that it clogged the gun in between swapping the two skins on my painting table and then I had to remove the paint from the cup, spray wash the interior with MEK and then get the paint back in and clear out the rest of MEK with paint. That is really the only downside of this otherwise excellent primer. It just dries too quickly and tends to do that in the gun as well. But how can you blame Cortec? It was 108 degrees during my paint job.
In addition to the skins I also primed the back of the piano hinges as they are about to get riveted on the skin flanges. The outside of these flanges got primed too because of that.
I guess tomorrow will be more water splashing when I am washing the roughness off the inside of the skins. But I do hope for some fun in the form of flying my little RANS, too. Early in the morning I'll be heading out to the strip and see if I can discover a new airport - Gila Bend.

No comments:

Post a Comment