Saturday, June 5, 2010

Flettners Finished




This morning I finished the Anti-Servo-Tabs. It was not all easy, though. Seating the countersunk rivets on the inside rib was tricky. The rib and the horn are not really thick and when the shop head is formed there is some bulging taking place. As they're countersunk I didn't have the option this time to put the shop head on the thicker outside as I did with the rudder. So, I drilled out a few a used some C-Clamps to add some additional force on the pieces and it helped somewhat to keep them a bit closer together. I just hope that I did a good enough job which will show when the ASTs get attached to the H-Stab. Allegedly there's not a lot of leeway for anything but perfectly attached rudder horns on ASTs. I guess I will find out soon.
The only other noticeable thing about the ASTs is that riveting the top skin to the inside rib needs some tricks to get passed the rudder horn that is in the way for easy riveting. You could probably use the wedge tool again and pull them with the pneumatic riveter but I thought I'd give the smallest manual one a try. This little tool was part of the Avery Tool Kit for the RV-12 and I was wondering when I'd be using this for the first time. Today was the day and it worked very well. It's a bit unusual to use as you cannot slide it onto the rivet's mandrel without actively opening the jaws which requires the handles to be forced open. Once set and the handles are released they hold on to the mandrel by the force of a little spring. It needs two squeezes to pull the rivet and in between you have to readjust it back to the rivet head by forcing the handles to stay open again.
A little weird feel the first time but you get used to it and it indeed has a very tiny head to get into those hard to reach places.

I've also located the H-Stab parts needed in the next step and briefly looked at the manual. This looks like I want to thoroughly study the blogs of others before screwing something up. It looks like the H-Stab is a bit more complicated than what I've dealt with before.
Maybe tonight it's cool enough to go back to the shop.

Oh, almost forgot... the overall time to finish the Flettners was 12 hours. Pretty quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment