Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ribs RIveted




After checking a few other blogs I decided to go with the plans and turn the inside ribs so the flanges face inboards and show. The riveting needed the use of the little wedge tools created in step #1 of the build process and went quite smoothly but slow.
The hinge brackets got installed as well and I used the torque wrench for the first time which I had just received as part of the Avery Tool Kit from a long back order delay.
When it came to install the recently trimmed hinge stops, I noticed some discrepancy as they didn't fit without bending the brackets at least a little bit and the plans had an explicit note saying that this should not happen. So I used my calipers and measured them - before I had used a yardstick alone. The result was that three of the 5 hinge stops seem to be a bit too long and two are a tad short. Fortunately Van provided a second 4" tube and I might cut another hinge stop from this tonight. I do hope that this "extra" tube is really for cases like this and not used elsewhere. I'll check with Van to make sure I don't have to order an extra part.
It was getting late last night and I felt I might make a mistake if I would not let go and went to bed, so I stopped after noticing the issues with the hinge stops.

I keep forgetting to list my worked hours... From the top of my head I think I just added up about 34 hours for the Stabilator so far, including the prepping and priming work.

No comments:

Post a Comment