Sunday, September 29, 2013

Trim Servo Is Working

The servo was stuck in the full down position because the trim potentiometer on the black box had been set to such a slow value that it had not enough torque to drive it out.
I adjusted the potentiometer, after removing the main and ignition switch panel for gaining access, to 25/27s for full travel. It is always slower in one direction (down, I believe) and that must have been the reason why the torque was not enough to get it out of the full down position with the factory setting.
So, now, it needs about 25 seconds to get from full up to full down and 27 seconds to go the opposite way.

This is how the Anti Servo Tab looks like when trimmed to full up and the stabilator being in full down and full up position respectively. CAREFUL! The servo is moving in the wrong direction in these photos!



Once the servo was working I worked on the calibration of the trim tab position. To get a first idea if the SV display is reading your tab position you can check the sensor debug data. Search for the ELEV sensor and watch it change from almost 0V to almost 5V over the range of the full travel of the tab.



If you see that, you are ready for calibration. Go to EMS Calibration and select "trim calibration" to start the process. A good, safe take off trim position is at 1.75" of trim tab deflection when the stabilator is in full up position. This reflects on my plane to 2.55V. I know that Van's suggest 1 7/8" but I rather pull the plane off the run way than have it jump in the air.


1 7/8" reflects to be 2.927V on my servo.


I also installed the Cotter pins now that I did not have to take off the servo assembly and I also installed them on the control linkages.
Then I washed off all the red ink on the aluminum skins that was still on in some places and forgot to take a picture of the washed down bird.

Oh, well, next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment