Sunday, September 15, 2013

Ramps Built

As I am waiting to pick up the moving truck, I can report about about the previous long workday. I was out in the heat for 10 hours building the 3 loading ramps for the move.
The idea I have is to Use a 20' U-Haul truck (about 16' usable length on the main floor) and stuff the whole fuselage in there and let two feet of the tail stick out.
To get the fuselage in, I need long ramps and three of them for all three wheels. Long, because I want to have only a small incline to push up and because the tail might actually hit the ground before the mains reach the ramp.
I used the spar box that I kept from the build and modified it to allow for an easy roll-on/roll-off experience. See the line for the cut. I used a water level to transfer the ground line onto the side of the ramp while the ramp was propped up to 3' on the opposite side (a tad more than the loading deck height of the truck).


Before I got all rallied up in the build, I decided to also start the battery test - now that I knew it would pass easily.


I was able to manage a really nice cut on the first ramp.


The opposite side was marked as well, using the cut off piece as a template.


The battery test had finally completed.


Both cut back ends of the ramp received some reinforcements.


That concluded the work on the first ramp. My wife and I out a stress test on it by both sitting in the center of the ramp while it was propped up and it did not even flex.
The second ramp was a bit tougher as I had to build something from 2x4s. The layout I used was 2 8' long 2x4 on each side building the frame of the ramp. To enhance the 8' long ones to become 16' long, I used a 4' long 2x4 on each side to support it. Here you see it with 2 additional 2x4 in the center to keep a 9.5-10" width. This photo was taken right before I put the plywood surface on.


The third ramp is for the nose wheel and a little bit less sturdy. It only used one 4' piece to extend the main side. Everything else is identical though.


It was late when I finished a very long and exhausting 10-hour workday.

No comments:

Post a Comment