Sunday, September 1, 2013

Nose Wheel Fairing Trimmed

After checking the successful installation of the fuel gauge, I went on to prep the bracket that will hold the Operating Manual under the shelf on the passenger side. I wanted to prime the flanges before riveting them into place.


Then I completed the SB 13-08-08 by installing the AN3 lock nuts and replacing the broken VA-219 bolt that I had received from Van's in the mail yesterday.



And when I could not find anything else to do to avoid getting back to fiberglass trimming, I finally went back to the nose wheel fairing.
I was not as bad as I remembered it and I was closer to finishing the trimming part than I had thought, so I was way less painful than anticipated.


There was just one small area where I had over-trimmed it and needed some filling (and some fine trimming after curing).


While this was sitting, I started working on the nose leg fairing and removing some areas beyond scribe lines.




In the meanwhile the epoxy of the filler had already cured enough to handle the part and I removed the fairing half as well as the backing plate for the upcoming trimming.



It seem to have bonded nicely, so this should be easy to trim to line.
The last step of today's work was to apply some lightweight epoxy filler on the top of the aft half of the fairing. The join was not done nicely and one half of the fairing part was a bit higher than the other. I sanded it down a bit but need some filler on the lower side to build it up slightly. So there is more sanding in my near future.


This should all be cured enough to get it done tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment