Monday, September 23, 2013

Fixing Cowling

Here's my bird's new home:






I also took more photos of the gap between the cowl halves on the left side.




The maximum is around the size of the hinge loops. After a long debate with myself I decided that it will be easier and doable to fix this my modifying the top cowl. Here is the way I am trying to fix this.


I cut a piece of scrap aluminum and match-drilled it to be used as a backing plate. I had removed the piano hinge before that step. The plate was then slightly wiped with Carnauba wax and clecoed back in place while the in- and outside of the cowl was roughened up with 100-grit sandpaper.


I mixed epoxy and flox with a bit of micro balloons and filled up the edge. To smoothen the surface and get an even transition, I taped a strip of packing tape over the setup and pushed it down with a straightedge.


This is how the front looked like.

The plan is to glue a strip of fiberglass over the backside of the edge and then cleco the backplate on again and let it cure. That should help to keep the extension in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment