Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tight Quarters

When I came home from the paying job I found two surprises waiting for me. One was the oil pressure sensor relocation kit.

The instructions are minimal, so I will take my time to figure this one out. I've never manufactured firesleeves, so I will have to research how to do this.
The other surprise was not such a pleasant one. I opened the heater door to see if the seal hat nicely set and it had not. Apparently the type of car wax I used has a chemical formula that kept the RTV for vulcanizing where it got contact. So, I had a bunch of smeary, grimy stuff to remove.

I cleaned it all up and tried again.

This time I used Boelube as a separation agent on the firewall. I hope this turns out better!
Next was the dreaded oil overflow tube. Dave had so much trouble installing this little clamp on the Gascolator that I couldn't convince myself to install a clamp where a cable tie appeared to do the same job.

The routing is a bit delicate in the upper part as the carb will have a n air filter mounted to it and that might then interfere with the tube. I'll have to check that tomorrow and see if it clears it.

Also, the hose pushes hard against the firewall shelf and I added a fuel hose on top of the PT tube to keep it from chafing.
The installation of the water reservoir was uneventful, but take a close look at the clearance between the bottle and the bar that holds down the battery. There's hardly any and so I might have to remove that bar again and remove some material.

As I couldn't install the radiator due to the failed RTV vulcanization, I decided to at least install the hoses on the opposite ends of their radiator attachment.

This one was the easy one. The lower one is a bad joke because it could have been installed any time sooner than now and it would have been much easier. Now, the accessibility of the water pump flange is almost zero.

I had to cut a cable tie to move the fuel pump drain hose out of the way and there is only one way, and one way only, how to install the hose clamp in a way that you can actually get to it to tighten it.

I am already dreading that I have to remove and replace these hoses in 5 years because they will probably still be badly accessible.
The final step was to install the clamp (again, with the help of a cable tie to close it while positioning the bolt).

I left it loose so I can adjust the hose in the clamp when attaching the radiator.
This is how the temporary routing on the right side looks like now:

Depending on the RTV results, I might be able to actually install the radiator tomorrow.
Things will get a little busy later this week and I will not have that much time to build this weekend as I am headed to Santa Barbara on Sunday. But I'll be back on Monday evening, so no big delays expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment