Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Radiator Installed

When I came home I immediately inspected the gasket around the heater door. It still was soft in the area along the hinge. This is odd and I can only explain it with the total absence of oxygen in that area once the surrounding RTV has settled. I took the door out and let it sit for another day but I went ahead to continue installation of the radiator. It is possible to insert (and remove) the door after the radiator has been put in place.

The fit was almost perfect. I needed one AN960-10 in the inboard upper and lower bolt added to adjust the radiator to the required gap.

I torqued the bolts and removed the front cover before continuing with the installation of the frame. The frame is held to the radiator face only by the RTV, so clamps were necessary to temporarily hold it in place.

The lateral seal was a bit messy but I finally finished it. The lower right corner In the picture is a challenge as the gap is very wide and hard to fill with RTV. I added some blue tape behind it to give it some support and filled the cavity.

That was it for tonight. I plugged the radiator hose flanges so nothing can hide in there while the hoses are off. I should be able to install the hoses tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment