Friday, February 4, 2011

Step Support Angles Arrived

They actually had already arrived yesterday but when I got home I missed to look in the hidden spot the UPS guy loves to drop off stuff in like this. So I found it this morning sitting in the cold.
I finished preparing a few things in section 22 so, I wouldn't have to worry about this later. Among them was some more counter sinking, match-drilling and trimming. Mainly on the tunnel ribs that attach to the firewall. Here you see the markings to trim away some aluminum that blocks the fuel supply fitting hole in the firewall.


I used a #40 drill to put some holes in it around the marked half circle and then I used a small hacksaw to cut out the majority of the piece. And then the fine trimming was done with Dave's favorite toy - uhh - tool, I mean: The Dremel!


Then there was some match-drilling to do on these parts where the steel angle get mounted to. Including deburring and some more counter sinking on the forward flange to the firewall. I don't have photos from this but you'll see that later when I prep and prime the stuff on the weekend. Speaking of priming ... I did some quick priming with the Napa 7220 stuff, which I like more and more.


You see, the inboard support angles are ready to get put in place. This is something for tomorrow, I guess. I have to see how I can do that as I also have to get out to the airstrip and do some maintenance work on the RANS S-12S.

4 comments:

  1. I'm just curious: what constitutes "cold" there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would ask ... ;-) So, to give you a chuckle - we had a historic temperature drop down to 17 degF a few days ago and to show you just how unusual that is I have to tell you that driving into work was like driving a boat. There was water running down the streets everywhere - from the bursted pipes. The gas company couldn't provide enough pressure on the lines because everybody was using their heaters at the same time (oh, what a surprise) and so the supply came to a halt in some areas.
    And to me, I've noticed, it becomes uncomfortable to work in the shop for more than an hour if it's below 60 degF in there - and I refuse to wear more than a hat and a fleece jacket, I just refuse it! That's not what I moved here for!! Usually we get just around freezing for a few days and that is it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you would scoff at my perception of "hot," but to be fair our version of hot comes with high humidity too.

    17 degrees is cold no matter who you are! I stay home if it's below 20.

    It's relatively warm here today (31F) but that's too cold to get someone to ho help me flip over the wing. I don't want to close out the wing tip from underneath, so I guess I'm stuck in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I did the wingtip with the wing all upside down. It was relatively easy doing the top part from an improvised creeper (furniture dolly and a wooden board - ouch) but I wanted it to be easily accessible when doing the large close out part. Also that avoided my wife to complain about the flipping the wing every other day.
    Now that yours is in the correct position I can see how you rather wait until you can flip it. Hm, nothing else to do on the plane? Well, then prepare for tomorrow's football. Check the supply of crackers and all the other necessities for game day ... :-)

    ReplyDelete