Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Revisiting 21-05

I discovered that I've made a big mistake early on in Section 21 that is now really hard to fix. Around 21-05 there were so many nutplates to install that I obviously didn't read the instructions anymore and I also ignored the labels on the items used. I just kept on riveting on those nutplates. All of them appeared to be K1000-08s but in step 7 and 11 they reference K1000-3s which I overlooked. Now the ribs that carry the wrong nutplates are already installed and sealed up by the floors and drilling them out in the tunnel will be very hard. I actually have to order a right angle drill attachment just to get those 8 rivets removed. Putting the correct nutplates in once the drilling has been done, won't be a cake walk either. So, as a warning to others. Be careful and check those nutplates before closing up any areas!

This is were I will be working on the next days when I get the necessary tools.


It's the two nutplates down in the web of the rib that defines the tunnel.
I tried to work with a HF angle drill but with the drill bit in there, the dang thing is too big to fit into the tunnel. I got lucky and got one rivet head drilled out but it's just wandering around on the other rivets, so I stopped until I get the right tool. I don't want to make the problem worse than it already is.

No comments:

Post a Comment