Monday, February 14, 2011

Seat Backs Started

So, I had to decide how to continue for the next and which section to work on now. I wanted to install the fuel system which would have been section 28 but one oversight held me back to do so. In order to install the fuel fittings one is supposed to have some pipe thread sealant, which I had bought ahead of time. What I didn't give a closer look back when I bought it was what type of sealant I bought. It turned out to be some generic standard type that resists oil and fuel which you would think is all I need, right?
Well, not good enough for me, actually. With the recent development towards adding mandatory large amounts of ecologically questionable ethanol, which is an alcohol, and talks now discussing 15% of it being required in auto gas soon, and all the issues this will cause in engine's fuel systems, I wanted to make sure that my fuel system would be capable of supplying it to the engine without creating unwanted leaks. This obviously would require resistance of the sealant to alcohols which none of the generic auto shop stuff has listed. I found one that is pretty much resistant to anything but pure oxygen which I don't see using for a long time at least, and that is Rectorseal No. 7. None of the stores had it and I had to order it online and it also didn't come in a neat little tube but I had to get a pint of the stuff in a can. Oh well. While this is being shipped I wanted to work something else and the only section that doesn't require anything in particular was 26, the seat backs.

I pulled the parts and cut them apart which proved yet again that you cannot have too big of a band saw, as I had to use the little hacksaw to separate them.
Cleaning up the cuts and edges with the Scotchbrite wheel was more fun than work and the last step I did was cutting off the one edge on the seat back support frames which had a little mark on one side that you just extend to the edge and cut it off.
For this I could use the band saw which turned out very nice. Cleanup was done with the Vixen file and the Scotchbrite wheels.


And here are the parts that have to get prepared for priming.


Because of Valentine's Day I only spent an hour in the shop and the rest of the evening was assigned to spend with my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment