Monday, July 22, 2013

Wheel Pants Fitted

I took a day off from work today to work a bit more on the plane and I put 5 hours into it. Yet, I don't seem to have a lot to show for it. The instructions in section 36 are rather misleading and therefore I spent way to much time of sanding edges to match that were not anywhere near the required line. However, that was not obvious until working on the following steps.
So, to save you some time, in case you are following me doing this, do not worry about sanding accurately to the scribe line on the main wheels front fairings. Go all the way to the line as quickly as you can and then connect the front and aft parts and see if the dimples for the screw holes attaching the fairings to the bracket are lining up with holes in the bracket. Mine were way off, to the point that I could get only one side inside the holes while the other pair was far outside of them.
Once you find that you get closer to a good fit of those dimples, then it is time for some accuracy in matching the edge of the front fairing to the recess in the aft fairing.
That way you should be able to rather quickly get this task done that took me 5 hours overall.


One done and one to go. By the way, I have searched other blogs for pictures of the wheel cutout in the making but no-one was daunting enough to show those. Mine has a surprising lack of line-up although I have accurately trimmed front and aft fairings to their respective scribe lines.


Once they are connected I can trim this offset back and hopefully smoothen this out a bit. Not that anyone would ever see it unless I'd be flying way too low....

And finally the second set of fairings was trimmed too.


To be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment