Sunday, July 28, 2013

Fairing Bracket Bed Glassed

Tough title, huh? Well, I figured that the whole task of gooping floxed resin around those screw holes was to build a bed for the brackets to rest in and therefore would spread the load of any forces evenly into the fairings instead of a small area around the screw hole.
So, apparently we are glassing a bed for the fairing brackets.
And that's what I did today. First was to apply some mylar tape onto the brackets to allow them to separate from the resin after it cured.


I could not take any photos from the actual flox application as I used 20-minute hardener for my epoxy this time. I was afraid the bead might run down the side wall of the fairing if it would be given too much curing time. As it was hard to adjust the fairing in the right way to get the first screws started, I was running extremely low on time.

The result of the first run looked like this:


The bed was not very supporting, and so I decided to lay it up a second time. This time is it was easier to see were to apply the stuff and it would also stick to the flox that was already there.

While the second batch was curing I started working on the nose wheel fairing. That was 2.5 hours into the work day, so do not expect the glassing task to be a quick one.


The scribe lines on the nose fairing were very thin and it was hard to trace them. Also, the aft fairing had two, vastly different, scribe lines for the wheel cutout. I decided to go with the one that removed less material and it appeared to line up with the front scribe line as well.

After I had removed the excess fiberglass, I deburred the aluminum that will be used in the upcoming tasks.


Then I removed the main wheel fairings from their brackets which was not easy at all as now I had applied too much flox mix and the epoxy had embraced the brackets. After a bit of carefully applied force I got them off. I will have to trim off the excess flox but other than that they look good to me.


I hope I can that trimming work done during the week and finish the nutplates installation on them as well, as to finish the remaining tasks to complete the main wheel fairings.

No comments:

Post a Comment