Sunday, November 4, 2012

Top Cowl Finished

Continuing from where I left yesterday, I started by installing the nutplates in the lower cowl that hold the side hinge pins and the top cowl.

Drilling the nutplate attach holes was quickly done and the riveting went just as fast.

Then I started on the oil door installation. First I cut out the door and deburred it and then it was time for a first trial fit. Make sure at this point that you have enough clearance between the door and rim of the recess where the hinges are. The door tends to move slightly backwards on opening and then catches on any high edge in that location. Ask me how I know ...

Cutting and deburring the hinge parts was up next, followed by riveting them onto the oil door.

The camlock fasteners needed a match drilled hole of 1/4" through the holes in the oil door into the fiberglass. I secured the door with tape during that process.

The camlocks were quickly riveted in place.

The door fit nicely - still.

Match-drilling the attach lugs for the hinge was up next.

And when I installed the door and tried to open it, it would not budge! What went wrong? It turned out that the outer hinge arm caught on the fiberglass upon opening. I removed a lot more fiberglass around the edges and sanded down the rim right between door and hinge and the door finally opened without catching on anything.

I installed the cotter pins after tightening the screws so the door would stay open even during a breeze.
This concluded the work on the top cowl as far as I can tell. The next steps will focus around completing the lower cowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment