Monday, November 12, 2012

Cowl Bottom Bracket

The Cowl Bottom Close-Out Bracket in Section 38, as per plans, would be installed before the engine could block the access to its top for match-drilling. I still don't understand though, how Van's expects you to accomplish a good cowl fit, particularly around the spinner plate, without the engine installed as a reference point.
Anyway, I decided to fit the cowl after the engine installation and so I had to work around the accessibility problem.

Acess between the cowl and the cylinders on the left side was pretty much impossible for holding a drill. The right side was even worse and so the only option left was the front.

That worked ok, although I had to resort to an angle drill and access from the bottom aft area for the aft holes.
For drilling the first holes, before I could support the bracket with screws in the match-drilled holes, I resorted to clamps in the aft area.

After dimpling the bracket I decided to scuff it and prime it as I expect a lot of crud to deposit between the fiberglass and the bracket while condensing water might running down the inside of the cowl bottom.

I even applied a second coat after riveting the nutplates in.

While the primer was drying I removed the cowl to do a bit more trimming on the bottom. The cut-out for the nose gear leg was a bit too tight on one side and the aft area still had some spots of interference with the skin that had to get cleared.

I put the bottom cowl back on and will match-drill the two holes on each side that will finish the bottom cowl work when the primer on the bracket dried and I can install it.

No comments:

Post a Comment