Friday, November 16, 2012

Cowl Work Completed

Drilling those last 4 holes on the bottom of the lower cowl took me 90 minutes. The vast majority of this time went into figuring out how to shine a light from the inside of the cowl through the nutplates on the left side onto the fiberglass fo the cowl as to mark the hole for drilling. With the engine in the way these nutplates are not accessible to a drill bit from the inside.

This little flashlight and some blue tape were the final solution that seem to have worked.

I haven't remounted the lower cowl yet as I will now jump back to section 49 to finish the installation on the cooling duct and the oil cooler before putting the cowl back on.

First it had to come off anyway as I had to open these holes up to #19 and the cowl needed a tad more trimming for clearance to the skin and the nose wheel leg.

Tomorrow I will work on moving the oil cooler at least 1" forward to avoid cooling problems in Tucson's hot summers and I hope to be able to install the cooling duct as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment