Saturday, November 17, 2012

Modified Cooling Duct

I should not have called the previous post "Cowl Work Finished" as this was too general of a term, implicating that all the cowl work would have been completed by now, which I learned today is far from the truth.
The outer cowl work and fitting might be done but therefore even more work has to be done inside the cowl, the lower cowl that is.
The next step in section 49 would be to fit the cooling duct to the face of the water cooler. Before doing that I decided that it was time for the planned modification of said cooling duct.
Many pilots in areas with really hot summers have reported problems keeping the oil temperatures in reasonable areas, at least on climb-out. The analysis showed that the oil cooler apparently is located too close to the hot muffler which reduces the efficiency of the oil cooler. To move the cooler away from the muffler one has to modify the cooling duct where the cooler is mounted to and allow it to move at least an inch away from the muffler.

I marked the areas which had to be cut and the ones that had to be removed to allow the cooler to move that much forward.
I also trial fit the duct in the lower cowl to see how this might affect the fit.

Then I started cutting with the Dremel and removing fiberglass.

Two sides where matched pretty nicely but one wide gape has to get glassed over to close it up again. The fit to the lower cowl was still reasonable.
I glassed the two matching sides first and let it cure half a day. Here it is right after applying the Dacron cover and still wet.

Then, about 6 hours later, I could remove the Dacron and handle the piece enough to apply the glass layer for the gape. I covered the flange of the cooler with tape so I couldn't roughen up the smooth surface.

Now it sits in the shop in front of a space heater that heats the area up for faster and stronger curing. I should be able to fill and smoothen the side that builds the inside of the cooling duct by tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment