Thursday, May 20, 2010

V-Stab finished... almost





And so I finished riveting the skin to the V-Stab the other day. Nothing surprising happened (I consider this a good thing). The only noticeable thing that happened was that my shop A/C broke and with over a 100 degrees it's a bit too hot out there to work without it. A replacement unit is on the way (the first just got 3 days old before it broke).
Fitting the nose of the V-Stab looked like a real bad job but when I screwed it on it just pulled itself in place. NICE!
So that was it with the V-Stab - except for screwing on the upper hinge assembly which I can't do as the parts are still on their way from Aurora. The previous parts couldn't get riveted without causing the bearing to freeze up,
On of the first assembly steps for the rudder is to trial fit the hinges with the rudder fittings and I don't want to get too far ahead this time. There might be a reason why Van's wants you to do it before assembly.
So, I'm limited to deburring and finding a place where to store all those parts I will eventually have assembled ...
Overall time for the V-Stab was around 35 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment