Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Stabilizer skinned





In the morning, before going to work, I finished squeezing the last 9 rivets for the nut plates. I just couldn't let it sit like this.
In the evening I put the skin on and the fit appeared to be good. So I continued clecoing the skin on, beginning from the leading edge on one side. Everything looked good but I wanted to be sure and so I turned the Stab and tried to cleco the other side as well (raising the Stab on some coffee cans to clear the clecos from the workbench). After I did that I was pretty amazed that it looked like I was already ready to rivet the skin on - but then I noticed little buckles near the leading edge in the front areas of the ribs. It wasn't the radii that had been excessively trimmed in the previous steps, it appeared to the be the ribs being too long and the upper front pinched into the skin. So I took the skin off (oh my, why did I have to send my air cleco tool in for repair TODAY?) and the scratch marks on the inside verified that it was the rib webs being a bit too long. The die grinder took care of that and I made sure I wouldn't have to do this cleco party again! Scotch-Brite polishing, re-priming the rib noses, priming the inside of the skin, particularly where it got scratched and along the rivet lines didn't take long.
Then re-skinned, aligned and adjusted and finally riveting started. I got as far as finishing one side and starting the leading edge on the opposite side. The process is a bit slow as you have to go one by one in the leading edge area because of the high tension there.
Anyway, the V-Stab is almost finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment