Sunday, May 9, 2010

right VS spar assembly ready



I finished the right side of the VS spar today and promptly ran into my first problem. Among all the match drilling were 6 holes that were much bigger than the others (#12). I was so in my drilling flow from all the #40s and #30s that didn't pay too much attention when drilling the biggies. It seems that I didn't center the drill bit when I drilled and I created elongated holes in the spar for half of them. The match drilled parts underneath had perfectly round holes in them so I know it must have been a centering fault.
Fortunately, it seems I could fix that by widening the holes a bit with a Dremel tool without removing too much material.
This taught me a good lesson though - never just drill without double checking that you really want to have a hole right there.
This section required a lot of material trimming and I'm not sure if I'm using the right technique (filing) but the result sure looks great, so I'm not too worried about it. It's going to be about 3 weeks until I get my primer, so I shouldn't go too fast right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment