Tuesday, November 12, 2013

What the .... is a Program Letter?

I had all my paperwork for the certification/inspection ready and lined up and then my DAR asked me for my Program Letter. Huh? What in the world is a Program Letter? I never received a Program Letter from Van's along with the FAA forms package.
Turned out this is a common question among builders but I did not find very many answers nor current sample lettersfor an ELSA through Google. Hence I decided to publish mine when the FSDO accepted it (just so I wouldn't lead on to making mistakes).
So what is this Program Letter? It's a formal letter to your responsible FSDO asking them to issue an Airworthiness Certificate for your newly finished plane. It is also asking them to issue you a set of Operating Limitations and a test area for the Phase I flight testing. Along with that your are going to make a few statements about how you complied with regulations and how you intend to use the plane after Phase I completion.
After drafting my Program Letter and sending it to the DAR, I got a positive response but I will wait until the FSDO has accepted it before posting a link here for you to download the letter.

The Program Letter was accepted without any changes, so here are the links.

Microsoft Word .docx: here and as an PDF for everyone else: here

1 comment:

  1. Please be cautious about the PDF version. I found some typos in the document which I fixed in the word document but didn't care to do so in the PDF file ...

    ReplyDelete