Monday, October 7, 2013

Wings Are On!

I went to the hangar after work trying to get the right wing to come in a bit deeper so I could get the bolt started. I had brought enough cable ties for the job but I also brought a little eccentric alignment tool Don Schwanke had made for me a while ago after running into trouble with these wing bolts himself, thinking I might need it some time. Boy, was he right
!
I inserted the tool after applying lots of Boelube to reduce friction. The tool, which is the size of the bolts but with a little eccentric alignment tip of about a 1/4" recess milled in, stopped where the right wing bolts would sense misalignment. Using a screwdriver to turn the tool against the resistance, it pulled the wing in and some taps of the rubber mallet drove the tool all the way in.


Now the way was free to insert the original bolt on the right side. It slid in with only minor hesitation.


Then the tool was removed from the left bolt hole and the original bolt was inserted with ease.


I will take photos of the whole tool when I am at the hangar again. Particularly the nose which does the actual alignment should be of interest to you.

Finally, the spar pin light stays dark when I power up the Master switch!


That's the end result.
Only problem is the left flaperon skin is slightly catching on rivets of the fuselage.



I think the Dremel tool will fix this issue for me without the need to take the wings off. Although that wouldn't be so much of a problem now with Don's tool to put the wings back on!

As a bonus, here's a little walk-around video:


By then it was close to sunset and I opened a drive plan for my ride home to get dinner...


2 comments:

  1. Looks like you're almost there! When do you plan on flying? Would you like some transition training?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very gracious offer, Anthony! My friend Denny has and is giving me training in his -12 already, so I'm fine. No definite plans yet as I still want to do a few things before the great day. I guess it will be end of November or early December.

      Delete