Saturday, October 12, 2013

Flaperon Trimmed

First task of today was to trim back the inboard flaperon skin where it interfered with the fuselage. I used a Dremel sander, files and the deburring wheel to clean it all up.



The next task was one I had tried to push out as far as possible as it was not at all pleasant to do, particularly in the heat. Now that it had cooled off a bit I was willing to crawl into the back of the fuselage and fix this long bolt problem on the left flaperon torque arm.


I just could not tell if the nut was seating on the shaft of the bolt or if the torque pressed onto the parts. I thought it was safer to put two additional washers under the bolt.


While at cleaning up the tunnel, I applied torque seal to all the nuts and bolts that had been torqued and also wrapped some spiral wrap about the cable bundles to stiffen them a bit.


Last time I had promised to take some more pictures of the tool that helped me pull the wings in. Here they are:



The last official task to close the build manual was to close up the seat pan and tension the stabilator cables.


It is really no joy working though those maintenance holes. My hand hardly fits through there only to find a very confined space inside anyway. It took me about 2 hours to get this done and find a good balance between the two stops and an even tension between the two cables.


Getting those locks into the turnbuckles was a part of its own!

Before I left for the day, I took some measurements of the rudder tab and also checked a possible location for installation.




What's left now? Trimming the top cowl patch and reinstalling the piano hinge and then some taxi tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment