Saturday, October 26, 2013

Plane Weighed

After a great day at Copperstate Fly-In, for which I had taken a day off from work, I riveted on the piano hinge to the top cowl.



Today then I arrived a bit late at the hangar this morning at 11am. The first task was to check if the freshly finished top cowl would fit on nicely. I knew that there was still some minor sanding to do to allow a bit of clearance.
And with a bit of this sanding I accomplished quite a nice fit.


I finally can say that this repair is now completed. Less some minor filling and sanding to optimize the lateral fit and to smoothen the fit along the edge.

The next task was to complete the installation of the rear window. It took some time but I did not run into any problems.



The it was time check out the ramps I had built the day before as well. I used a circular saw and cut 2x4s to shape, followed by using the band saw to make some more surgical cuts to adjust the height to 2 3/4" for the mains and 1 3/4" for the nose wheel.
With a bit of inertia and persistence I was able to pull the plane onto the ramps and secure it there.



In this position I added all the panels, covers, cushions and fairings to come up with a completely equipped RV-12.
The scales were put in place and leveled up by an 1" for the mains. This turned out to be a perfect in-flight attitude for the plane.


This looked nice but unfortunately the sun heated up the LCD displays of the control panels so much that I could not read anything on two of them. I set up a sun shade and provided for a cooling stream from a fan and then rolled the plane onto the scales.


This sums up to 737.7 lbs with no wheel pants and full priming and interior paint, lighting kit. I think this is a great weight!

It was time to put everything away and get out of the heat of the hangar. Not before one final shot though.


I'm not quite sure what next to do. I definitely finished the last step according to the instructions (rear window) and it might just be time to schedule the inspection now...

No comments:

Post a Comment