Saturday, March 10, 2012

Screwing Around

I put the canopy back on the frame with the help of my wife and clecoed all the holes to align the holes in the canopy with the match-drilled counterparts in the frame.


The it was time to start inserting screws on the rear bow,replacing the clecoes I had just put in for realignment. The major challenge here was to determine how to allow a second hand access to the interior part of the canopy while the other hand would turn the screw. This is what I came up with.


The key in this job is to not really tighten the screws but to let them just gently hold the canopy down while the nut is supposed to have just enough torque to keep the screw from turning by itself.


The next step was to rivet the skirts to the frame. You all know how much I enjoy the riveting part, so this was done in just 15 minutes.


The upper rows in the skirts will also get filled with screws and I ran out of time before I had to get ready to go to the paying job for another evening shift.
So, tomorrow the plan is to add those screws, as well as to rivet the AACQ rivets into the front bow. Then follows some cleanup work, installing the canopy latch handle and the guide blocks before it would be time to do the fiberglass work on the front bow. I'm not sure if the temps are already good enough for that as it has significantly cooled down here.
I just wish I could work on the Avionics and finish up that job, so I could put her on the landing gear!

No comments:

Post a Comment