Sunday, March 11, 2012

Canopy Installed

So after a not very eventful evening shift, I got up quite early and went back to where I had left of the day before. Finishing the screws on the skirts of the canopy.


The first half is easy to get at on each side but then you'll have to tip the canopy open to get to the rest of them.


On both sides I didn't rivet the handles onto the skirts yet. The reason is that I am out of spray can primer and as these are mounted outside and could get exposed to rain, I definitely want to put a coat of primer on the backside of these handles that face the skirts' surface.
Then I ran into a problem that needed time to fix. When installing the latch handle I saw that the eccentric hole created such a large gap on one side that I didn't want to leave it like this.


The solution came in form of a tube of Dynaflex 230 (clear) which is an indoor/outdoor sealant. I tried it on a piece of scrap plexiglass and it doesn't seem to affect it at all.


So I applied it into the gap and smoothened it out before letting it sit. Unfortunately, it takes about 24h to fully cure and I did want to clean up before installing the handle.


This stuff will stay flexible when cured, so I am not worried that it could separate or keep the canopy from expanding in heat. The handle installation will have to wait until this stuff is all cured, That's when it will lose its white color and turn clear. Cool stuff.
Looking ahead in the manual I found the next road block. I either lost a part from the bags or never inventoried it. Either way, I do have only one guide block. This part is referred to in the manual as C-1212 which must be a mistake as there is no such part in the whole kit. The only bag that contains canopy parts lists a C-1207 as guide block and there should be two but I can find only one. I ordered this part and I had to gasp when I saw the price. This 2"x.5"x.75" piece of plastic goes for $7.40 - plus shipping. Wow! What kind of a hitech polymer is this??
Anyway, I ordered it along with the parts for the fuel tank service bulletin although I am still not sure if I will install those brackets.


Look at step 1 in the upper left corner. It clearly says C-1212 and does so repeatedly throughout the instructions. Change it to C-1207 and you'll be able to find the part in the bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment