Friday, March 9, 2012

Needful Things

I got to work on the canopy a bit more today as I am transitioning to some evening shifts that are coming up tonight and tomorrow. Little things that are needful to the canopy handling, hence the title.
I began with cutting off the two handles that will help lift the canopy out of its closed position. These are cut from a piece of 3/4" x 3/4" angle and then cut some more.


One hole in them gets pre-drilled by measurement only, the other then gets match-drilled. I don't think these handles' dimensions will be at all critical.


The only thing you should remember, is to make a LEFT and a RIGHT one and not two left ones if you follow the sample dimensions twice. I guess that's why there is enough angle to make another handle, in case you didn't think.


Then I went back to the canopy lock lever and trimmed it a bit more. My first attempt was by using the Scotchbrite wheels only.


That created a lot of heat but not enough abrasion to really do a lot to it. So I got out the vixen file, clamped the handle in a vise and removed a lot of material on the sides before going back to the SB wheels to smoothen out the job. I removed so much material that I also had to redo the countersink part for the flat screw.

No comments:

Post a Comment