Saturday, January 7, 2012

Rear Window Done

So I received my clecos on Friday just in time to get some work done over the weekend. Thank you , Avery!

I finished the match-drillling and accomplished a pretty good fit to the rollbar. Not perfect as I wanted to - there's a slight skew over the width of the window which I probably can compensate for when fitting the canopy.


This is how it looks from the inside.





Then I took everything apart and finished the task by opening up the holes in the rollbar and in the rear window. That's when it happened. I honestly despise drilling plexiglass! I already learned this fact when working on the landing light cover. Then at least it was a few holes that were controllable. Not so with the rear window! One of the last holes opened caught on the material and it cracked and broke out a part of the forward flange. I think I'll be able to glue it back in and make it look ok. It's on the top, so not too visible and certainly not a stability issue.
Anyway, when you get to this task, be super careful about the opening part and apply almost no pressure at all with the plexi drill.
I didn't take a photo of that boo-boo but I will do that when I have the cement to fix it.

Now, I am thinking to do some prep work on the Main Gear section as the temps are down again and doing epoxy work is probably not a good idea at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment