Saturday, January 28, 2012

All Wheels Assembled

On Friday the package from Harbor Freight arrived and I received the tools I needed to finish the wheel assemblies. The main problem was that the local HF store is stocked worse and worse and this time they were out of long hex bits and the necessary adapters to match the 3/8" drive to the 1/4" drive the torque wrench expects.
So back in the shop and torquing those wheel bolts.


Then I had to "pack" those bearings with grease. Never done anything like it before, so I had ordered a tool to reduce the messiness of the job.


The messiest part of which was filling it with the automotive bearing grease that I had ordered with it.
All I had to do to pack the bearings was put it in the tool and push a handle down for a while until grease was pouring out of it on the top. You can see the covered tool behind the almost finished main wheel #1.


The last step was to reassemble the brake.


That finished wheel #1 and I took a little break before working on #2 but I found out later that the new hex bit drivers also helped a lot with the disassembly of the rim and so I was a bit amazed that the whole work on wheel #2 summed up to just one hour from start of disassembly to finish.


And that finished the first page of the Main Gear section. This is how guys that are half way down to 90 years old celebrate their birthday, or at least I did it like that.
I sure am happy to see that the first avionics packages can finally be ordered for the guys that are stuck and waiting more desperately than I do yet. This gives me hope that I can now just go on building and soon be able to finish the avionics section to get back to an efficient building rhythm.

No comments:

Post a Comment