Monday, April 14, 2014

Painting with Latex

I had seen an EAA Webinar by Malcolm Morrison from EAA chapter 1327 who experimented with Latex on different aircraft for quite some time and with stunning results (at least to me).
You can find the webinar here and the summary webpage with photos and description here.

The fact that the paint is water-borne, cheap and readily available and available in any possible color, made the decision easy to give this a try.

I was about to prep the fiberglass surfaces of the cowl and spinner with EkoFill from Stewart Systems (after a thorough wet sanding with 220 grit) but the EkoFill I had bought about 1.5 years ago (and never opened) had gone bad. The can showed a very watery substance on the top and clumps of tar-thick filler on the bottom. No amount of stirring helped to dissolve the filler back into solution so I threw it out and ordered a new supply.

That means that I could not make any significant progress over the weekend and it also means that I probably won't be able to make any until the next weekend.

And here the pieces sat on the workbenches all ready to get primed.




I used the timeout to order some more tools for buffing and polishing the Latex paint and a protable greenhouse as a cheap makeshift paint booth as I do not want to build another wood-frame paintbooth for this simple job.

No comments:

Post a Comment