Thursday, February 13, 2014

Glare Shield Installed

In preparation for my first real Cross Country flight, I found the time tonight to head out to the hangar right after work. I had everything set up to install the glare shield which needed a good dose of ProSeal to glue it to the canopy frame. I had everything but a scale to mix the ProSeal, but that did not keep me from doing it anyway. After so much gooping one is able to mix the two components well enough by just looking at the color of the mix. I wouldn't do that on a tank supposed to hold gas but for a glare shield, no problem.


I filled the lip with ProSeal and spread it out carefully to not get anything on the top surface. Then I had already masked some areas on the frame to ensure they would stay ProSeal-free.


Then, very very carefully I slid the glare shield in place, avoiding to smear the stuff everywhere where it wouldn't belong.

The clamps are supposed to lightly squeeze out the glue and hold it evenly in place. The clecos are the reference points.


Now it has to cure and lose its sulfuric smell and then I will pull the two rivets to finalize the install. This will be a great relief during the flight to KHII, Lake Havasu City, AZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment