Saturday, February 15, 2014

Wheel Pants Installed and Flown

In the morning I completed the installation of the glare shield by pulling those two LP4-4 rivets. It felt like the force was almost high enough to break the shield, so be slow when pulling them!

I also installed the wheel pants in preparation of the Cross Country flight, thinking that they should provide a reduced drag and fuel burn or a higher cruise speed. I had almost forgotten how many screws are holding them together... and the best is that I will have to take them off to check the tire pressure for now until I have a minute to mark a good spot for drilling an access hole.

Oh well, they do look good though :-)


I flew the plane for half an hour after the installation and verified that the plane did NOT have any change in yaw at cruise speed and that the glare shield worked as designed.
I was not able to verify a significant increase in cruise speed beyond maybe 2-3 kt. but I have not yet installed the nose leg fairing.
Landing was uneventful with the existing clearance of at least an index finger between fairing edge and tire.

No comments:

Post a Comment