Sunday, January 5, 2014

Climb Data Collected

Another take-off confirmed that the RPM indicator is still somewhat jumpy on take-off and initial climb-out. It seems to jump between two discrete values and is much more stable than before. Surprisingly enough, the indicator is rock solid as soon as the initial climb-out is done. Subsequent climb-outs work work just fine and show a constant RPM. I can absolutely live with this until I remove the cowl anyway for some other reason. Then I would try a 30K resistor instead of the 20K one and see if this would completely solve the problem.

I have also alleviated the roll problem by extending the pushrod for the right flaperon by one turn of the attached fitting. To get there I had to remove my split floor panel and squeeze my hand in there but it only took an hour to complete the task. If I ever have to open the floor panels again, I might add another half turn as there is still a very slight roll tendency left.

After doing this fix, I wanted to fly to confirm that the airframe was still balanced and to collect some climb data and do some speed boxes.

I did all that but the really impressive thing was the shot I took once I got to 9000 feet.



Both have been taken north of El Tiro Gliderport at about 9000 feet. Breath-taking!

Overall, the data suggests that my propeller is a bit too high in pitch. I was not able to get to 5500 RPM in straight and level flight at density altitude of 7500 feet.
So, I might have to do this before the next flight and then verify that I am doing better. By the way, the left EGT sensor was working ok during the flight and did not vary too much but after I had hangared the plane again and let it cool down the SV showed a cross in place of the left EGT temperature. That usually means that the sensor is dead or not connected. Oh well, there is always something, I guess ...

No comments:

Post a Comment