Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Mysterious Engine Log Book

Before I ventured deeper into the ways of acquiring a replacement fuel hose from a Rotax Service Center in response to the SB 912-061, I browsed the good ship VAF for the experience of others in this matter.
I remembered that I had read about this SB shortly after my engine had been delivered last year and I found it here.
The interesting information that I took away from it was that some had this SB been taken care of before their engine delivery by some licensed mechanic through Van's or maybe the Rotax distributor and that such action had been noted in the Rotax Engine Log Book that they had received with the engine.
That made me feel very uneasy as I had absolutely no recollection that I had ever seen such a log book along with the paperwork that came with my engine. Unfortunately, I was at work when I had learned about this and I had to actively fight the urge to run home and check if my log book was missing (a 20 miles drive - one way).
When I got home I went through the collected stack of papers related to the RV-12 and, sure enough, I found the log book. You can really easily mistake it as yet another Rotax instruction manual as the shape and the cover page looks just like the service and maintenance manuals.


So I had put this important log book away with all the other Rotax documentation and never looked at it again for about a year.
Now, that I had learned that there might actually be an important entry in this log book, I opened it and found - to my big relief - an entry on page 5:


And that said that the SB had already been complied with and that a fuel leak test would have to be performed once the engine was installed.

So, there you have it. That was an easy job this time to complete this Service Bulletin!

No comments:

Post a Comment