Saturday, June 15, 2013

Engine Controls Completed

In the cooler morning (92 degF by the time I got to the carport), I went back to connecting the cables to the engine controls. And I immediately ran into an Oregonian Mystery. I followed the plans precisely and it was asking explicitly to re-use the locknut on the throttle arm that we had previously removed. It's the shiny, silvery nut in the picture.


Now this is a metric nut and I noticed that when tightening this nut, the bolt it was supposed to tighten was an imperial one (3/8" wrench). This worked for a bit until I tightened it a bit more and it turned pretty loosely all of a sudden. Also I had not noticed any resistance when I screwed it on and got to the locking section of the nut. 
Clearly this indicated that I had the wrong size nut and I just removed some of the threading (from the nut).

I tried an AN365-1032 stop nut and that went on with a much better feel and it tightened properly and the locking part worked as well.
I checked the instructions again and I could not find anything else than to re-use the metric Rotax stop nut. I think this is a mistake and I will post this in VAF later today. See the correct nut in the following picture.


The choke cable installation was pretty uneventful, just hard to get at on the right side for trimming it to the correct length.



Now, I just have to seal the grommet holes with firewall sealant or ProSeal and then I can mark this chapter finished.
I will let the RTV I used on the potential rubbing point between left throttle cable and oil hose for the pressure sensor settle and then tighten the double clamps that control the cables and also install the air filter on the left side.
Then it is back to finish left out steps. A lot will have to do with applying sealant which I would like to do all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment