Sunday, May 19, 2013

Oil Pressure Sensor Mounted

The last step of the Pressure Sensor Relocation was to find a spot on the firewall for attach the Adel clamp and the sensor to.
The hose was not quite long enough to get it all back to the fuel pressure sensor which others used as an attachment point but I found a good route to get it to the GPS antenna shelf.


This position would also allow for a good route without blocking anything important.


and enough clearance at the exhaust if clamped where I put my hand.


Now the only thing missing at the shelf was at least a hole. I decided to install a nutplate as access was easy enough for the squeezer..


That made the installation a one-screw job.


Please note, that I had also installed the clamp at the end of the fire sleeve. On both ends actually.


Crimping on the spade connectors was a routine job but routing the wire for minimum stress and bends was not quite so easy.


Looks like a lot of wire ties but that way the wire is unlikely to break due to vibrations.
This completed the relocation and added another hour to the time balance sheet of this step. Connecting the sensor to the electrical system was the last open step in Section 46 and so I could close that as well.

Next was to catch up with section 49 and install the oil hoses in preparation of the oil cooler installation. But before that, I noticed an interesting schematic in section 46-11 that shows how this fuel distributor block is put together.


This will be interesting in the near future as my engine is one of those that will require the short fuel supply hose from this distributor to the fuel pump to get replaced. This is covered by another SB, but this time issued by Rotax.

With the help of Vielle Burette's pictures posted on his blog, I was able to quickly tackle the question of How-in-the-world-should-I-route-these-oil-hoses question.

I started in reverse order than the instructions ask for as it appeared to be easier that way.


This was the return hose that attaches to the belly of the engine.


By the way, I tried to go below the friction brace too. It appeared that there was less stress on the hose when routed above the brace as shown in the picture.
The next hose was the one attached to the oil pump. Clearance with the fuel spill over pipe was not good and I had to bend the pipe a bit to get the hose to pass it.



I did not do more on this hose and left the support just temporarily attached to the exhaust bolt. This will get completed when I finally hook it up to the oil cooler.
Next was the oil supply hose and that one was the worst to route. I am really grateful that I had a lot of pictures from other blogs to see which way to go. It's really tight behind the engine now.


You can see that I also installed the air filter on this side now. This was because I saw clearance issues with the spill over hose as well as problems to even get the air filter installed at all after the oil hoses were in place. I had to slightly reroute the spill over hose and also routed the oil hoses underneath the fuel supply hose to get a bit more length out of the oil hose.


I had to lift the oil canister up a bit to clear the air filter, so we will see if this is low enough to clear the upper cowl.


This shot was taken from the left side, aiming at the shelf.


Again, from the left side and below so you can see how the hose is resting on the water hoses.


And the final shot that gives you an idea of the clearance between oil cooler and the muffler. This is also the reason why I might have to do this step again. As I had moved my oil cooler about an inch forward of the position Van's had intended, I might now have too short of a hose (on the left side) to connect it to the oil cooler and mount it to the cowl.
It's not a bit deal! If it turns out to be too short I can order a hose, clamps and a longer fire sleeve from Aircraft Spruce and manufacture my own within an hour or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment