Wednesday, October 31, 2012

All Cowl Drilling Completed

I took on the drilling of the side hinges today. The first hole is the toughest as you have to support the hinge from behind and with the engine in there, it's kind of hard to get there.

Then the vertical side hinges were up for drilling. I also was about to run out of #40 clecos so I resorted to reduce the amount already in use by half.

After the halves had been connected they were sitting quite tight on each other. Too tight in fact, to allow paint to get sprayed on at some point. All had to get removed to give room for sanding and then everything was put back together to check if it was enough. Fortunately it was.

Everything came off again for some countersinking and riveting to be done eventually.
Before that I decided to trim the cutout for the nose gear a bit wider.

The rest can be done at night and mostly in the shop. The countersinking I rather do outside to not collect hazardous dust in the shop but the riveting can definitely be done inside.
Looks like I am finally getting over this dreaded task!

No comments:

Post a Comment