Sunday, October 21, 2012

Filling the Gap

I worked in the cowl again this weekend. It seems I'm done with trimming now and I could work on connecting the two halves on their sides with another set of piano hinges - if it wasn't for the gap I had created on the left side.
My first attempt to fix this was by clamping a back plate in place (another strip of fiberglass) and filling the recess with resin with a lot of flox mixed in.

The back plate had its slick side facing the resin and I also applied some wax on it so I could easily separate the cured resin from the backplate. The lower area of the cowl beneath the gap was covered with a strip of packing tape.
The setup cured ok over night and I was also able to separate it without any damages. Unfortunately, I had a sag that needed filling from the inside of the cowl area, so I sanded the resin and applied some more floxed resin.

Once this is all set, I hope it has enough strength to hold onto the small area of contact with the rest of the cowl while I trim it back to the correct shape. When the piano hinge is installed, it will help to stabilize the gap filler but before that happens it will be rather fragile.

No comments:

Post a Comment