Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Cowls Removed

With my recent experience of always underestimating the time to remove stuff from the airplane, I decided to drop by the hangar after work and get started on my fuel supply problem by removing the cowls.
That took indeed the better part of the little daylight that is left at the end of the workday now. I even got to remove the safety wiring from the gascolator screws, which turned out to be harder than putting the wire on those screws (!).
I also pumped out most of the leftover gas from the tank using a Facet ATV electric fuel pump system to reduce the amount I will have to wash through the open gascolator. Did I mention that I really hate sloshing around fuel in open containers?
I got the screws out and left the bowl in its place as it was getting really dark at that point and the lighting in my hangar is more on a level for emergency lighting than for working through the night.
Before I left I also inspected the carb spillover pans and found traces of a few drops of gas that had washed away some dust there. As I had a few high fuel pressure warnings through the first flight I wonder if this was the result of that or if dirt got into the carb bowls and breached the valve that should have prevented the bowl from overfilling. I will certainly have to run a test with the cowl removed when the fuel system is put together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment