Monday, July 11, 2011

Fuel Tank Closed Up

Today was the day. Let's just hope I don't have to do this again!



Two things I did, deviating from the plans, I should mention. First, the order of the final assembly.
I had the front plate uninstalled when getting to this final step. First I riveted the clips to the top, gooping them up as necessary.
Then I put a thick layer of sealant in the corners to seal off the top when it comes on. Use a finger to spread it well but leave it thick, don't spread it out too much. Don't forget to put lots of goop on the inside where the tank has this little bent. The cutouts in that bend have to be well covered with sealant.
Then I installed the top skin. Don't worry about the clips just yet. Focus on aligning the skin without losing too much of the goop. Once sparsely clecoed, reach inside the tank through the front plate and snap the clips onto the return line. Mine felt a little loose so I added a cherry sized amount of sealant to them. Just goop it on a finger and feel your way with one of the clean ones.
After riveting the top skin on, I riveted the filler neck on, then finally going for the front plate and then installing the fuel sender.
This all took exactly two hours after mixing which happens to be the pot life of my Chemseal stuff.

The second thing I changed is quite obvious in the picture. It's the added ground wire, directly attached to one of the screws that holds the sender in place. I felt that with multiple layers of ProSeal the ground would have a hard time getting propagated over those plates. Installing a wire is much simpler and more reliable. I will run the other end to the forward inboard mounting screw.

No comments:

Post a Comment