Monday, February 25, 2013

6" Drill Bits Arrived

The 6" drill bits from Avery Tools arrived today and I got right to work on the plane when I came home from the paying job and found the parcel.


The reflection of the drill bit on the template surface really helped getting the holes drilled straight. However, I cannot understand why Van's was so cheap to just provide one template for two sides. I ended up having remove those nuts holding the template over and over to swap the template from one side to the other and then back again for drilling the 1/4" holes. Come on, really, Van's?


Here you see the right side after opening up the pre-drilled holes to 1/4". After that the template has to get switched back to the left side as you need the reflection to ensure a perpendicular drill bit.

Finally, the chips were removed and the two mount assemblies were removed from the plane, while making sure that they stayed aligned as they were drilled to get marked clearly for reassembly. Also, I deburred the freshly drilled holes. The drill bits are really high quality and there were hardly any noticeable burrs to remove.


The sun had set by then and I called it a day after another 1.5 hours. So far, I have spent 25 hours working on this SB.

No comments:

Post a Comment