Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Psychological Block

What is going on?

More than a month since the last post and nothing new to report?

Well, yes, at least when it comes to airplane building.

The big news that happened in December last year was that I changed jobs. And that, naturally, comes with a lot of collateral changes. These certainly contributed to me having less time to build and less time to think about the RV in my carport. All of this was, and still is, contributing to a lack of progress on the build.

Another reason is that I seem to be suffering from a psychological block at this point. It is caused by the fact that everytime I make some little progress on the build again, I soon thereafter receive a change notice from Van's telling me that what I just did was completely in vain and that I will have to tear it down again when - WHEN(!) - they have figured out just how to do it.
After the fuel tank modification, that had just come out a few weeks after I had happily sealed mine up, it now is the landing gear that requires some significant changes.
The very landing gear that I had held off to attach for so long and had worked around to just not have to work on it in an awkward way or interfere with the electric installation.
And, now, after I pulled the trigger on it, I received the next change notice that tells me to pull it all apart again and drill out a bunch of rivets to fix what should have never been broken to begin with.

It sure doesn't help my motivation, despite the fact that I am really close to turn this pile of aluminum into a federally registered aircraft. Right now I am still waiting for some missing parts for even doing this landing gear modification as they were on back-order when I received my "care package" from Van's some weeks ago.\

So what I'm doing at this point is to keep on waiting and hoping for warmer temperatures to come along with the back-ordered parts. As a matter of fact, we have a pretty garstly winter this year in Tucson and temps are actually around freezing in the morning. While this would appear to be warm for Ohioans, it is completely unacceptable for Southern Arizonas and not helping with motivation to leave the house either.

Give me a few more days, maybe a couple of weeks, and I should have been able to overcome my latest hiatus and get back to work.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Torsten. I recommend a patio heater. I just bought one from Home Depot right here in Tucson, link below. I paid $100 about a month ago, I don't know if they are still for sale. (Thornydale) If I didn't have this I would be at a stand still with my project. It even doubles as a Pop Tart heater. You can plan on spending money on propane, but it may be worth it. Keep pressing forward!


    http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Outdoor-Living-Outdoor-Heating-Patio-Heaters/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbxcw/R-203702023/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UPL24qWTy04

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for suggestion, Anthony. I can definitely second it! I bought a dual head propane heater last winter and it helped me a lot to keep the shop at a reasonable level without killing myself. I kept the heater just outside the open door and had the heat radiate into the shop while the gases could easily escape and stay outside.
    Unfortunately, the same setup doesn't work as efficiently in the open carport. I think it's due to the larger area but mainly because there is just too much airflow that transports the heat away from me. The patio heater could probably generate better results in this application.

    ReplyDelete