Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cowl Hinges

I was so happy yesterday as I thought the cowl trimming might pretty much be done...
In the morning I discovered that I forgot to trim back the recessed flange of the lower cowl. So back to dusty trimming work again it was!
Then the halves were matched together and the front screw holes were marked.

Drill and cleco, was the next step.

The fiberglass was put aside and the hinges had to be cut.

At noon, I had a nice interruption from tedious work by a visit from Chet and Barry. Two great guys from Oro Valley who are thinking about building a -12 and putting a Viking engine on. They have built a -6 and a -9 and know what they are doing. I bet they wouldn't need more than maybe 6-9 months to put the baby together.

When they left I went back to work and cut the hinge pins to length, bent and pointed them.

I've also adjusted the hinge loops on the installed hinges on the upper firewall. They needed to get filed a bit wider as the bent narrows the gap on the inside of the curve. It's hard to take a photo of this, so I skipped it.

Next steps are marking the drill holes on the hinges and more cowl work.

No comments:

Post a Comment