Monday, February 6, 2012

New Rear Window Material

When I tried to order a replacement plexiglass window with Carl, I got a surprising answer:

"I am no longer fabricating the plexiglass window. The cost of shipping, cracking and breakage was the reason I had
switched to a different type of plastic for the rear window. The new type of plastic is called Vivak it is made by the Bayer
Co. of Germany. Vivak is only available in clear, so a tint film must be applied to get the tint required. This plastic is unbreakable
like Lexan but does not have the sensitivity to fuel and solvents that Lexan does."

This new window material lies flat as the Lexan one does, so Van's themselves could replace the fuel-sensitive window with this material. It turns out that this Vivac stuff is also a bit cheaper than the plexiglass and will ship for less as it doesn't have to ship preformed.
I just hope the tinting film will work out ok and stick to the material as I really want to reduce the heat in the cockpit when flying in Arizona's summer.
Carl is going to make one for me this weekend, so we'll soon see how it looks.
To see how fuel resistant this material is, I ordered a 0.1" thick sheet through amazon.com. I'll use that for testing how different solvents are affecting the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment