Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Replacement Control Module Ordered

All the measuring I did last night and this morning just revealed that the connections are correct. If not that had surprised my dearly as the harnesses were not modified and installing the wiring with the servos is pretty simple and can hardly be messed up. Well, and the servos ARE working. I actually went through the calibration process just to be sure they are fully controlled and they are. However, as soon as the Optional AND the Autopilot plugs are in the Control Module (and the EFIS for the Skyview) with everything else removed, the SkyView system is not capable of seeing the EMS or the ADAHRS anymore. The wires measured to be correctly connected which leaves not a lot of room for interpretation. The CM (Control Module) seems to do something bad with the wires once they are plugged in which negatively affects the bus, so the EMS and ADAHRS disappear. There's is also a chance that the EFIS harness is at fault in some odd way, however, without anything else plugged into the CM, the devices connected to the EFIS harness work just fine.
So I ordered a replacement AV-50000A for $525 and overnight shipping for less than an extra 10%. I really hope this will fix the problem as I have no clue what else to look for otherwise.

I wanted to verify that everything is ok with the wires. My thought was to bypass the Autopilot plug which, once plugged in causes a problem. The Autopilot plug has the least amount of wires and most of them are actually just there to jumper the the servo's data bus to the EFIS SkyView bus. The other cables deal with the APDC switch and that's not needed for getting the whole SV network up and running. There is a left over stub of cables related to the AP74 on the Options harness. This stub contains power supply for the servos, ground and two wires for the primary servo data bus. All I had to do was to run wires from these two cables (one yellow, one blue) to the corresponsing SV Net 1A/B pins on the SV network plug. I decided to use the Dynon test cable to do that so I wouldn't have to unplug anything and all the devices could be on the bus at the same time. I also provided ground and power supply to the servo bus. I pulled the Autopilot plug but left the Options plug in.

I powered the system up with external power and ran the device detection again. Guess what happened!

Right! All 5 devices were recognized. I even ran a calibration test on the servos to see if they were really working. So, now I KNOW that there is no problem with the wires. Everything is working as it is supposed to. Whatever the CM does, it doesn't do it right. The jumpers are correctly set in the pins of the plug, I have verified that this morning. So the problem must happen inside the CM and that will get replaced. Now I really believe that the replacement should fix my problem. If not, I at least found a way to work around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment