Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Panel Primed

I got up at 6am this morning to use the only calm period of the day to shoot the primer. The problem for the next days is that we have a lot of wind and gusts forecast and I don't think that the afternoon would be suitable to do any paint work until Sunday. There will be a lot of dust and other particles stirred up and this wouldn't improve the finish unless I'd opt for some textured paint.
I put the table half way inside the shop so the overspray could get blown out again. This seem to have worked fine again and I was able to close the shop door after about an hour of prep and spray work and the inevitable clean-up. I used a 2K Stewart Epoxy primer in smoke gray which is an off-white light gray. This should be a good contrast for shooting the black paint.

I also added more putty to the GPS mount to finish that.

The primer should cure at least 24 hours and I would like to just lightly sand or polish it, in case it picked up some dirt. So, I'm not sure if I will shoot paint tomorrow morning. Maybe I wait a day or two. It also depends on the wind situation. The primer looks actually so beautiful that I almost wish I could just leave that stuff on and be done.

I've added an evening session in the shop after dinner as I felt restless. The painting part cannot be accelerated and I don't have anything else to do at this point. I was working on some small stuff down the road. The modification of the rear bulkhead to be precise. I laid out the lines that have to get cut but before that I will have to assemble the support that will get riveted to the back of the bulkhead and the floor plate. I will match-drill these before cutting them apart.

I found some nice scrap pieces from the riveting training kit that I had ordered from Van's before I even received the tailcone kit. The bent flanges will make the piece real stiff and keep it light at the same time. I will probably try to bend the flat sheet as well, to reinforce it a bit.

I was too tired to do that tonight, so I ended the session after a short while.

No comments:

Post a Comment