Sunday, October 3, 2010

Still Trimming Along ...

Puh, this is really taking a while. I finished deburring the holes of all the nose ribs, I got even that far to almost install some nutplates before I realized that I will have to wait with the riveting until I have primed the ribs.
So I went on and started trimming more flanges off the main ribs. After doing this on 19 ribs I didn't go that far to also straighten and deburr the cut.
Actually, If you haven't started working on these ribs yet, you'll be surprised on how many you will have to remove material. My workshop is somewhat limited in available tools, and I came up with an OK solution to accomplish these trimmings in a reasonable amount of time. I used the HF pneumatic nibbler to remove most of the material. The edges of the cuts are pretty rough and my 3M Cut & Polish wheel trimmed the rest of these edges and made them smooth enough to deburr them with the Scotchbrite wheel thereafter. It's a 3-step process but fairly fast and easy on the polish wheels.
If you have a bandsaw you could use that very well on the aft flanges of the nose ribs and the nose flanges on the main ribs, probably reducing the process time quite a bit.

The next steps are to straighten the cuts on the main ribs and deburr all 26 of them. I might have to spend all week on this ...
But there's another package from Van's on its way. So maybe I can interrupt the routine by doing some inventory again!

Yay!

If you didn't notice it.... The enthusiasm was fake :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment