Thursday, April 4, 2013

Started on the Propeller

I was finishing up the seal gluing when I got home. The results from the first strip installation from yesterday were looking nice.

The seal on the curve needed a bit of touch-up to make it air tight (which is the reason why I did not cut it yet to relieve the kink) but otherwise it was looking fine.
The left over two strips went on without problem.


Now this has to cure again and then the next step is the aluminum foil installation. However, I decided to use a ceramic insulation between the fiberglass and the foil. So, this stuff in the picture will go on next.


As it should go on in 3 coats, this will probably take a while before I can apply the foil.
In the meanwhile I thought I start the propeller section. That one starts with what Dave called a major PITA - the pitot tube installation. Following the instructions, I had no trouble so far. Prepping the tube for the pilot dimple was the first step.


The drilling of the #36 dimple, utilizing the AN960-10L (aka NAS1149F0332P) washer technique, was a no-brainer.


Here I stopped. For one because I was not feeling sharp enough to do the delicate dimpling of the tube using a drill bit. And also because I simply do not have the asked for #29 drill bit. I will have to check with other builders if a #30 bit would do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment